Friday, October 25, 2013

For my Granny!


My Granny turned 92 this year!! She finally decided this year that she couldn't travel to see us anymore because she lives in Scotland and coming to the States is quite an ordeal for her.  Luckily for me, my amazing husband told me I should go visit her this fall.  His wonderful parents are going to watch the girls for us and I am going to get to visit with her and my mom! SO excited.  I wanted to make something for her, but really, what kind of art piece would a 92 year old like to have?  And while I was having this conversation in my head with myself, a hot air balloon drifted across the horizon . . . sometimes inspiration comes and knocks us over our head and so, here is the piece I made for Granny! 

I sketched out the balloons on the canvas so I could get an idea of sizing! (Seriously good circles right?  Good thing nobody is relying on me to sketch projects!)


I painted the edges of the canvas to help the final piece have a more finished look!


I took out my new Crate Paper collection and cut out a background and some rolling hills!


I cut out some plain balloon shapes from plain white paper.  Then I pieced in the patterned paper to give the balloons some color! 

I used some twine to connect the balloons to their baskets.  This just gave the piece some dimension and texture!


Then I added my texture layers ...  Distress Ink into a stencil, rub-ons and stamping around!!

I sealed it all in with my matte medium and realized I had finished the jar . . . I LOVE this stuff. I can't tell you how it has changed my life!!  I used to use Decopauge ALL the time.  But it was sticky and goopy when I didn't want it to be.  Then I ordered some of Claudine Helmuth's matte Medium from ePaperie. It is amazing!! Thick, quick drying and so useful for gluing and sealing!!


See . . . time to order more!!

And the finished piece, ready to board the plane with me later this week and head off on our adventure!  Thank you for stopping by today.  I hope inspiration floats right into your life this week!!



1 comment:

  1. I've been so behind on blog reading! i love it all...the christmas ones, the crazy door!!! and this beautiful hot air balloon! they all rock! I love it!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete