Tuesday, March 1, 2016

The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge #22 - March Inspiration!

Hi Everyone!! Welcome back!! This challenge this month is to use the Egg photo as your inspiration!! Use the colors, the shapes or whatever it inpires you to create!!   And if you are lucky enough, one random entry will win a $25 gift card to Waffle Flower, our awesome sponsor this month!!


Our wonderful sponsor this month is Waffle Flower!! Waffle Flower sells some amazingly cute stamps, I personally love the DT Mix set and the Planner sets!! So glad they are a sponsor because I love finding new and creative shops!! They have generously donated a $25 gift card this month!!  And we are so lucky that Tessa Wise, from Waffle Flower is our guest designer this month!!



Here is my March photo Inspired Project!!





And here it is sitting on my little table in the family room!!



I started out with 4 pieces of rough pallet wood and sanded them down a little because last time I used pallet wood my hand ended up with a nasty splinter!! Whoops!  I glued them together and held them in place until it dried with some kitchen string.  Looking at the string, I thought that somehow that string design had to be incorporated into my piece!!  So I actually covered the wood with Ken Oliver's Color Burst powders.  WOW! Such color! (I realized though, I never actually took a pic of this step, bummer because it was cool!)  But I ended up covering the bright colors with some stone fresco paint from Paper Artsy!  Let me tell you the chalk paint on the wood ... yummy!!


While the glue dried and the paint settled, I made a ton of modeling paste eggs. Using an egg shaped stencil and parchment paper to make my own embellishment pieces, when they were dry - I peeled them off the paper to decorate like real eggs!


 When the fresco paint was dry, I added a little more modeling paste to my project through stencils.  


See the Color Burst popping through the Fresco paint .... it looks so awesome!



Then the eggs were decorated with paint and Archival ink pads. I used brown paper bag ripped into strips and coated in matte medium and twisted for the basket handle! I also cut some grass out of dried modeling paste and colored it green for that all important Easter Basket Grass!! (And you can see my dog keeping my feet warm! LOL)



I hope you all enjoy my project as much as I did making it!! This is just one of those projects that was so much fun to make and I really love!! 

Join us at the Mixed Media Challenge - you will have so much fun creating and we just love to have you join us!!









9 comments:

  1. That is fabulous Karen! Love the pallet wood background and the peek of colour bursts through the fresco paint is wonderful. Your texture paste eggs are fab, what a great idea, thanks so much for sharing this! Deb xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful Karen! Love the pretty background and all the textured eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the background, and your clever texture paste eggs :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such amazing colors and textures! THe eggs look like cookies ready to be eaten!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool 3-d inspired project. The color and textures adds a lot to the overall feel of your project. Nice Job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love how you used the pallet wood as your substrate!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool! I love all the rustic elements and the creative way in which you used them. Hope you had a very blessed Easter!

    ReplyDelete