Monday, January 12, 2015

Annie Sloan +Old Ikea = Love!

I had my dresser in the closet for the last 14 years so I honestly, couldn't even see it.  However, when we moved this summer, our new room had plenty of space to put my dresser out ... but 1990's Ikea pine ... just not looking so hot!!  So, Ikea pine, meet Annie Sloan Country Grey Chalk Paint!!! I love it!! 



Of course, I forgot to take a picture before I started working, but here she is with the drawers out.



I shellac'ed the drawer fronts and sides of the dresser.  I did two quick thin coats.  Besides the smell, this is a really easy step!!  It also made the chalk paint go on like butter!




I decided that I wanted to stain the top of the dresser instead of painting the whole thing.  So I got out my trusty sander mouse and got started!!


I taped off the bottom of the dresser and started staining!  I used General Finishes Gel Stain - my favorite!!  After about two coats of stain, I topped it off with a coat of polyurethane for protection! 
 


After the shellac dried I used the chalk paint.  I mixed in a little bit of water to thin down the paint and gave it two coats of paint.  I love the color!!  And after the paint was dried I finished it off with with a coat of Annie Sloan clear wax. 

 I added some fun knobs from Hobby Lobby and she is DONE!! 


I put her upstairs in my room and I just love it!! You would never know that this little beauty is an old pine Ikea dresser ... 


Whew, now back to the art room!!

2 comments:

  1. I love it, I love to do home projects!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE to do home projects too - and I really love it when they turn out so well!! Sometimes I think I might need a blog called Pinterest Fails too!!

    ReplyDelete